My colleague in charge to support implementation one type of VAS features in our operator client. From daily report we find out that rate for failed called for this features is quiet high. So that’s why we try to collect all data and try to analyze the performance of this features and try to find the main root cause so we can prepare the solutions and make this VAS features performance become better.
From our monthly report, here what we do step by step :
– Using check sheet, we group and calculate amount of each error cause
– By pareto , we will find the biggest error cause and this is become our “Root Cause Problem”
– After we have the root cause, then we formulate options to decrease the root cause
– By Matrix Diagram we choose the best option to increase the performance
Here is the error cause data that we have base on our monthly report :
3. Develop the outcomes
By pareto method, we can calculate percentage cumulative for each error cause, so we can know which error cause that become main “Root Cause”. Then we can take appropriate action to solve and reduce the error and increasing this VAS features performance.
4. Select Acceptable Criteria
From pareto chart we can see that the first 5 causes can cover 95.4 % from total defects. So that’s why we focus to solve and decrease this 5 big causes. Here the option that we can take to minimize it :
- Opt 1 : Add A party threshold limit
- Opt 2 : Increase storage capacity for the VAS server
- Opt 3 :Add new VAS server , so we can configure cluster system and do load balance and create better performance
- Opt 4 : Upgrade OS to more stable version
- Opt 5 : Add network capacity backbone
5. Compare the outcome
We used Matrix Diagram to evaluate each option influences for the error caused and choose the best option to increase the VAS Features Performance.
6. Best criteria from mimimum
From step 4 and step 5 , we can do summarize :
We can see form total valued that the best option is for Option 1 (Add A party threshold) and Option 2 (Increase storage capacity) is the second best option. Beside that for Option 1 and Option 2, they solve for Error cause 1 and Error Cause 2 which is impact to 81,8% for all system defect. Which means this two error cause is the big issue for the VAS system performance.
Conclusion : the best option is option 1
7. Performance monitoring and post result
For performance monitoring and post result , the parameter that we can used for performance is the error cause rate for error cause 1 and error cause 2. If in the future after we implement the solution and the error cause become decrease, then the VAS performance become better.
When to Use a Matrix Diagram, retrieved from https://www.qualityamerica.com/knowledgecenter/qualityimprovementtools/when_to_use_a_matrix_diagram.asp, web 14 March 2013.
Cheung, Laurie A., Introduction to Matrix Diagram(2001), retrieved from http://www.freequality.org/documents/knowledge/matrix%20diagram2001.pdf , web 14 March 2013.
Tutorial:Frequency Counts and Pareto Chart, retrieved from http://wiki.originlab.com/~originla/howto/index.php?title=Tutorial:Frequency_Counts_and_Pareto_Chart, web 14 March 2013.